Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers

Lilypie - Personal pictureLilypie Kids Birthday tickers

Sunday, August 30, 2009

Say a prayer for The Coffey family

Eric Coffey is the youngest of 4 brothers and I consider him an old, dear friend of mine. His oldest brother Keith was in a terrible dirt bike accident on Friday that left him with some very serious injuries. So Im adding Keith and Eric and their family in my prayers. As Matt Garnes put it, Keith is a great friend, father and brother who kicks ass at everything he does. Last I heard he had no feeling from the chest down, a broken clavicle, broken sternum, punctured lung in addition to a crushed T5 & T6 vertebrae. He is resting in the hospital after a long surgery to rebuild his spine. My heart goes out to the whole Coffey family as I can empathize with the situation.

I especially empathize with Eric as he was my classmate. I know he has a beautiful heart, a gentle heart, and a deep love of his family. I met Eric in the 4th Grade at Wrightwood Elementary and after losing touch, we reconnected several years ago after Sean ran into him and Keith (Sean's classmate at Serrano High School) at the farewell Oingo Boingo concert in Las Vegas. Keith is the oldest, then Jason, then Darren and last but definitly not least there is Eric. Eric is a classical guitarist and he and his brothers are definitely old souls. Their eyes are windows, that seem to tell stories much older than their physical years. At least Erics always did. We moved from Wrightwood in July '91 but I remember Eric and his brothers rather vividly. Keith has always been Superman, the most outgoing of the 4, and a fire fighter.

After I read the news of Keiths accident, I began to think about the Coffey brothers. The brothers are extremely tight which has helped them through the various trials of their lives. Keith is an awesome older brother and family man. Jason I never really knew, except for impressions from his brothers. The majority of memories I have of Darren are from when Eric & I were at Pinon Mesa Middle School together. I can see Darren vividly playing football during gym class and looking out after Eric, he was hard to miss with his red hair. Eric was always the quiet soleful one but Darren brought him out of his shell. Darren was killed doing what he loved on January 26th, 2008 (See the following links for more info) The brothers have been very dedicated to keeping Darrens memory alive through his website and memorial fund. As a matter of fact, Keith held a fundraiser early this month at his house to raise money for the fund.

http://www.sbsun.com/portlet/article/html/fragments/email_article.jsp?article=8105191&hostName=www.sbsun.com&section=/&siteId=208&siteName=San Bernardino County Sun

http://www.rimoftheworld.net/columns/neufeld/forest

Please keep Keith, Eric and their family in your thoughts and prayers. I revisted Darren's Memorial website today and I found the following quote that I love.

N
o one beats him at his game
For very long but just the same
Who cares, there's no place safe to hide
Nowhere to run--no time to cry
So celebrate while you still can
cause any second it may end.
And when its all been said and done
Better that you had some fun
Instead of hiding in a shell-why make your life a living hell?
So have a toast, and down the cup
And drink to bones that turn to dust,
No one lives forever!

No comments:

Post a Comment